Plan B is a birth control pill which is available in tablet from. This medicine is used to prevent unwanted pregnancy caused due to unprotected intercourse or due to failure of contraception method. This birth control pill comprises of generic levonorgestrel as an active component which makes this birth control pill very effective. This medicine prevents pregnancy Firstly it prevents the process of ovulation (the process of attachment of fertilized egg to the ovary). It also makes the lining of the cervix thick, which makes it difficult for the sperm to enter the uterus, due to which sperm is not able to reach the egg. Hence fertilization process does not take place.
Plan B should not be consumed in various conditions such as:
- Do not consume this medicine if you are suffering from kidney disease, liver disease or liver tumors.
- A female having history of blood clotting problems should avoid administration of this medicine.
- Intake of Plan-B should be avoided in case of hypersensitivity towards generic levonorgestrel.
Storage condition of Plan B-
You should store this medicine in a cool and dry place at a room temperature of 250C. This medicine should be kept way from direct heat, light and moisture. Keep this medicine away from the reach of pets and children.
Method to consume Plan B-
You should try to consume this pill as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse. The pack of plan B contains two pills in which you should consume one pill take one pill of 0.75mg within 72 hours after the unprotected intercourse.
After a gap of 12 hours, you should administer the second pill.
Intake of Plan B may lead to various unwanted ill effects such as breast tenderness, stomach cramps, bleeding, vomiting, nausea, or bloating, weight gain, headache and dizziness.
Precautions to be followed while consuming Plan B are:
- Diabetic patients consuming this medicine should check their blood sugar level regularly checked as intake of this medicine affect the blood sugar level.
- Smoking of cigarette should be avoided while consuming this medicine as it decreases the effectiveness of this medicine.
- Females above 35 years of age should consume birth control pills with extreme caution.
- This medicine is not meant for providing protection against sexually transmitted disease, so you should use condoms to protect yourself from such disease.